Monday, February 15, 2010

Sleep Update: CIO Night #3 (and NIght #4, early edition)

I must start to a warning to all readers of this post: I am writing this as I implement Night #4 with Holden crying loudly in the background. So my apologies for typos, nonsensical language, or sudden changes in mood. [I actually already went in and edited it some]

So, Night #3 is in the past, and it (again) was not the worst thing that could have happened. In brief, Holden cried for 33 minutes, and after checking on him 3 times, he fell asleep around 8:15pm. His wails reached that new vocal range that only infants seems to get to (although sometimes our cat Alice has been able to reach that pitch during baths, but not the volume). He did not wake or stir much after that, and slept a whopping 11 hours straight (again, not something we're aiming at, but I suppose we just count our blessings when this happens and don't question it). He woke up around 7am, and this time he wasn't madly hungry but was a bit more of his delightful morning self (smiling and giggling some -- which is so important for me to experience, to reassure me ... and Bryna ... that this process is not "damaging" him or negatively impacting his relationship to either of us).

OK, its about time for me to go in and check on Holden at the 10-minute mark (and he's really howling now ... boy this REALLY sucks sometimes). Let's hope he starts to figure this out, and reduces his crying soon. Keep your fingers crossed for me as the night continues.

...

Quick update: Things are not going very well here on Night #4. I'll give a final update tomorrow, but he's been doing some weird off-and-on crying, and we're past 40 minutes now (the longest yet -- maybe this is what is clinically referred to as the "extinction burst"). OK, now our phone is ringing ... I wish a long and painful death to the telemarketer calling us at this hour (it's probably the Democratic Party or something like that -- if it wakes him, I'm voting for Mickey Mouse in every election for the rest of my life). See, I told you I would be random and cranky ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment