Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Bedtime Battle: Why I'm not there

While taking a break at the coffee shop today (it's "Weekends with Dad" time, aka my PhD work hours), I logged on to facebook to discover Mike's post on his big ole' sleep project of the week and realized some of you may be wondering why I'm not there to join him in the fuss fest. Yes, as Mike has noted, it's partly because of our co-parenting commitment and our decision that Mike can take this one for the team. And yes, I really do need a break after the breastfeeding battle that consumed my life the first 6 weeks of parenthood (a topic deserving a real post at some point).

But the real reason comes down to this--if we're going to help Holden get the sleep he needs, we have to break him from his worst sleep habit: nursing-to-sleep. And frankly, since I know that nursing does indeed take the tears away, it's hard for me to keep myself from running to his aid if I'm anywhere nearby. So for the next few nights I'm taking a breather, seeing friends, doing our grocery shopping, and going to the movies. Whatever it takes to stay away. Because Holden can't always get what he wants, as the Rolling Stones would say, but hopefully, he'll get the sleep he needs.

1 comment:

  1. I think that Stones quotes comes in pretty handy as a parent. Sounds like night 1 went well, hang in there.

    ReplyDelete