Monday, January 18, 2010

Bjorn Baby, Bjorn!

It's no secret that I'm not a big fan of the popular Moby wrap -- it just does not suit me. Nothing that starts with a 50-foot piece of cloth is going to end well after being endlessly wrapped and tied around by body (not to mention getting baby inside and settled). While it is possible that my patience is very short with the Moby-thing, I have resorted to the MUCH better secondary option: the Bjorn! Yes, I am referring to the best baby carrier on the market. It's not just manly and cool, but has been featured in such classic Golden-Globe-winning films as "The Hangover." I also found out that the Baby Bjorn is twice as popular as the Moby wrap (so I have lots of company sharing my perspective).

Of course, we've not been able to put Holden into the Bjorn yet since he has been so small. But now that he's been on a real growth kick these past couple of weeks and he's getting vastly improved head control, I thought I would give it a try this past weekend (with lots of pent up excitement and anticipation).

Keeping my fingers crossed (figuratively), I quickly strapped on the Bjorn and snapped everything into place -- yes, I used the work "quickly" to describe this process, which I would never use with the Moby wrap. It all fit perfectly, with little directions needed. And I picked up Holden and slid him in ... again, with little struggle or puzzlement about what fold to wrap around him or how to adjust yards of cloth to get it all just right. And, for a first time, he seemed to like it (a little bit of fussing would be expected with any new carrier). And the second time I placed Holden in the Bjorn on Sunday, he really liked it -- so much that I was able to carry him around while doing some laundry and cleaning up some of his toys and stuff. He got to see everything I did, and I narrated every step of the way (... it's never too early to teach the boy how to do laundy, right?).

Hopefully, after some more practice with the Bjorn (and some more growing), Holden will be able to enjoy afternoons walking around, going to the store, etc. etc. ... all in the Bjorn. And then he and I can both say goodbye to the Moby -- well, at least when Bryna's not around ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment