Tuesday, August 11, 2009

and now for something really scary...

Sorry, I couldn't resist. That picture of the "hand pillows" that Bryna posted was really freaky, esp. when the website advertising the product says "leave a piece of yourself with your baby" . . . like they are REAL hands or something. Just freaky!

But I can't let that top out this freaky post. Here is the strangest work of art I think I've seen: A Giant Baby. This is by artist Ron Mueck, who apparently never received any formal training in art, but worked developing lifelike props -- and now, miraculously, it's ART. Of course. (sorry for the snarkiness). With the exception of the large male figure in the Hirshhorn collection, I am not a fan of this guy's work at all (the piece seen below, "A Girl," included).

3 comments:

  1. Funny--I find a lot of his work really intriguing (not sure how I feel about this one, though). His use of scale has a disarming quality that I find engaging. As you already note, his man at the Hirsshorn is one of his better works.
    And dude--there's so much "strange" art out there, this doesn't even come close to the strangest! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read recently that women were more sensitive to the attractiveness (or lack thereof) of babies. I don't recall the source, but it suggested that it was some kind of instinct about the survivability of the baby. Anyhow, this sure is one very ugly baby. Is the face supposed to look like an old man's?

    ReplyDelete