Saturday, August 22, 2009

30 Weeks

And here we are, at 30 weeks, or 3/4 (or more) through pregnancy. This week is a big one not only for these momentous markers, but because alas, we have reached the end of summer. Next week marks the beginning of the fall semester for this doctoral student, who will be spending the rest of her pregnancy as a teaching assistant in a History of American Photography class, with a crop of eager students. I will no doubt have many adventures to report from this pregnancy-scholar balancing act (and even more once the Short Stranger arrives!). Among these: a comprehensive exam that I am taking in two weeks, at 32 1/2 weeks. Thereafter, I am to sure to post on the blog more often, since the preparations have been taking up much of my time. Incidentally, right now my biggest concern about the exam is that I will have to take too many trips to the bathroom.

This week marked yet another regular trip to the doctor's office, where I found out that I did indeed pass my glucose test. I also learned, to my delight, that I have great numbers for my iron count! So much so that the doctor asked me if I was taking supplements (I'm not). I felt especially vindicated as a pregnant vegetarian--at least once a month an acquaintance feels compelled to ask me just how I get enough iron and protein.

This week, the Short Stranger is officially a cabbage patch kid--and now has the eyesight of a legally blind person. Babycenter.com has this to say:

Your baby's about 15.7 inches long now, and he weighs almost 3 pounds (like a head of cabbage). A pint and a half of amniotic fluid surrounds him, but that volume will decrease as he gets bigger and takes up more room in your uterus. His eyesight continues to develop, though it's not very keen; even after he's born, he'll keep her eyes closed for a good part of the day. When he does open them, he'll respond to changes in light but will have 20/400 vision — which means she can only make out objects a few inches from his face. (Normal adult vision is 20/20.)

1 comment:

  1. Yay on passing the glucose test! Pregnancy without desserts sound like no fun at all.

    ReplyDelete