Saturday, August 8, 2009

28 Weeks

At 28 weeks, we now have a cabbage patch kid--er, at least a "chinese cabbage" patch kid, since the Short Stranger now weigh approximately as much as one of these delectable vegetables. Since Mike has politely informed me that I've "grown since the baby shower last weekend," I don't really doubt that our little pumpkin baby is indeed this size.

This week I had the first of my 2-week doctor's appointments, where all went well. The main event this time around was the infamous glucose test for gestational diabetes, which all prego ladies have to take somewhere around the end of their second trimester. Although I've heard some horror stories about the sweet liquid that we have to drink for the test, I didn't think it was too bad. My only problem was that the drink was not exactly my favorite flavor--fruit punch. Ah, and I never appreciate having my blood drawn.

What I didn't know, though, was that they'd time me when I drank the liquid. "You have five minutes, here's the timer: go!" I felt a little like I was at a frat party and people were chanting, "chug." And I am proud to say that I finished the little 10 oz. bottle in less than 3 minutes! Needless to say, since I haven't heard from the doctor's office since my appointment on Wednesday, I'm fairly sure I passed the test.

As for the Short Stranger himself, here's what babycenter.com has to say:

By this week, your baby weighs two and a quarter pounds (like a Chinese cabbage) and measures 14.8 inches from the top of his head to his heels. He can blink his eyes, which now sport lashes. With his eyesight developing, he may be able to see the light that filters in through your womb. He's also developing billions of neurons in her brain and adding more body fat in preparation for life in the outside world.

No comments:

Post a Comment