Monday, October 19, 2009

what the #$&% is a "push present"?


OK, so our friend Becca just sent us an article from the New York Times about something called a "push present," or sometimes referred to as a "baby mama gift" or "baby bauble." What the #$&%!! Not that I don't think that every woman deserves major praise, attention, and anything they want after going through pregnancy and especially labor, but this seems like another typical American consumerist craze that is most likely sweeping Manhattan and Rodeo Drive (and maybe Ladue here in the STL). Seems to suggest that fathers might feel really guilty for standing on the sidelines while their wives carry, deliver, and take care of their baby. I mean, better get her a ring and a pat on the back [sarcasm]. But maybe she might prefer that the new dad actually help out at home -- not just hiring a cleaning service to clean the house, but maybe actually changing diapers, getting up in the middle of the night, taking baby to doctor's appointments, etc. [not sarcasm].

So my "push present" may seem lame, but I plan to thank Bryna by doing as much as possible to help take care of the baby and be a parent, and help around the house as much as I can. I know, I know . . . here I go again with the same old rant. But do we really need to start buying diamond rings for women after they give birth??

If anyone has ever received or given a "push present," please post of comment and let me know your thoughts. Is it necessary? A nice perk? Total consumerism?

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I might have to post a point/counter-point on this one. I still have to work through my thoughts on this because I'm not sure how I feel about it, but equal parenting or not, the mom works a lot harder than the dad on the day of labor (and throughout the pregnancy)--and there's something to said about acknowledging it.

    ReplyDelete