Saturday, October 24, 2009

39 Weeks


We now have a mini-watermelon baby who for the time being, at least, seems content in the cozy womb. I've been pregnant for so long that Mike and I have a running joke that we'll never have this kid--that two years from now I'll still be pregnant with a 2-yr-old Short Stranger in my belly. On Monday night, he kicked me so hard in the ribs that he woke me up wondering if he understands the concept: he can't kick a hole in my side to get out! While I used to enjoy it when strangers told me I didn't look like I was due so soon, I now sigh and grumble when I get this comment. What do they mean? Do they mean I don't look ready to go into labor yet? No really, I am. The question now is--will this be an Oct. or a Nov. baby?

This week at my regular appointment my doctor told me, optimistically, that she hoped to see me before our next appointment this coming Wednesday. I took this as a sign, and I hope she's right!

This week, babycenter.com has this to say:

Your baby's waiting to greet the world! He continues to build a layer of fat to help control his body temperature after birth, but it's likely he already measures about 20 inches and weighs a bit over 7 pounds, a mini watermelon. (Boys tend to be slightly heavier than girls.) The outer layers of his skin are sloughing off as new skin forms underneath.

No comments:

Post a Comment