Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Holden tries to fly...and fails miserably

So...this week we experienced--the hard way--how quickly babies change. And we also realized--thankfully--how resilient their little bodies can be. Just about one week after Holden figured out how to crawl, he also figured out how to pull himself up in the crib and apparently climb (or fling his body) out of it.

Yes, Holden did what every parent dreads and fears. He fell out of his crib. And amazingly, miraculously, magically, he had only a little scrape on his head to show for it.

How? Huh? What? You might ask. Well, the story is this: I put him down for a nap, all was quiet, and then about 10 minutes later, crash bang thunk! Waah! I ran up the stairs to find him face down crying on the floor. He seemed to have knocked off his baby monitor from a stand which perhaps cushioned(?) his fall. A little bruise, some tears, and that was it. In about 10 minutes (and a panicked called to the doctor--and Mike--by me) and he was all smiles again.

Obviously, we lowered his mattress immediately afterward.

However, when I called the doctor, even the nurse was a little surprised that he was able to do this (although she was very calm about what to do, and how to handle it). Apparently babies, at this age, are designed for bumps and bruises. Holden didn't exhibit any of the danger signs and she said he and all turned out well. Not that this couldn't have ended badly, of course. But thankfully thankfully thankfully, it didn't.

I had always assumed, naively, I suppose, that I would walk in one day to find him standing up. After all, that's what has happened to so many of our friends (as noted in their blogs). Instead, Holden decided that standing just wasn't quite good enough. So now, all I can picture him doing is this (although our crib mattress was lower than this one):
Yeah, fun times. Did I tell you yet that I'm not as keen as I thought I'd be about this milestone?

2 comments:

  1. Wow! He is really an amazing climber. I'm glad everything is ok. Our neighbors' daughter did the same thing although she is A LOT older than Holden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, except he doesn't really seem to be able to climb that much...guess when there's a will there's a way? In any case, the mattress is lowered now and he looks like a little zoo animal in it. :)

    ReplyDelete