Thursday, May 13, 2010

Solid Foods, Redux...or "they change so fast!"


A few weeks ago, the very curious Holden had a test-run of solids. And while he liked them very much, they didn't settle too well with his digestive system. After, er, constipation (yuck, I know!) with rice cereal, and painful cranky gas with oats, we decided to take a little break.

So now that he's officially 6 months old, we're ready to begin again. This past week Holden has started on rice cereal again, this time--thankfully--without any painful problems. We've made some tactical adjustments, like feeding him in the morning instead of the evening, so that he can work through any tummy troubles by bedtime. This seems to help, psychologically, anyway. And based on our doc's advise, we're holding off on the oats for a little while, and moving on to fruits and vegetables instead. So far this week, he's tried homemade sweet potatoes, which he royally protested. We'll keep working on that one. By the way, if your ever interested in making your own food, wholesomebabyfood.com is a great website.

All this solid food business is making me realize, as they cliche goes, "they grow up so fast!" A year ago at this time, I was telling the world that I was pregnant! Plus, I find the whole task of getting them from breast milk to adult food daunting. How do we get from point A to point C? I know we take it day by day, but it's amazing how quickly it all goes. Whenever I see an 18-month old I am in disbelief that Holden could possibly ever look or act like that. I guess that's what people mean when they tell me that once you get to the 6 month mark, time really starts to fly. In the meantime, we'll keep charting our food adventures here for the one or two of you who remain curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment