Friday, May 22, 2009

The Great N/A Beer Competition

Summer is the time for an ice cold beer, and since I can't have any for the next 5 or so months, I am searching for the next best thing. So to help those beer fans who may be--or may become--pregnant and face the same predicament, I'm bravely trying out and reviewing the options. Technically, these beers have a wee bit of alcohol in it, less than 0.5%, if we want to be picky.

So this week we have Gerstel, a German non-alcoholic lager that can be found at Trader Joe's.  The beer is light in color, fairly hoppy, with a slightly skunky smell. Though it's not nearly as good as a regular German lager, it does fair slightly better than N/A Becks, the only other non-alcoholic beer I've tried.
On the beer-rating website, beeradvocate.com, the beer gets the grade of a C. Highest rating: B+. Lowest: D+.  

To quote one of the funnier reviewers on the website: "If I was forced to drink this, I wouldn't be contemplating suicide. Is that a compliment? It'll have to do." 

My Final Grade: C+.

No comments:

Post a Comment