Saturday, July 11, 2009

waning power of parental consumerism

Call me a Marxist, but one of the interests of mine as we enter parenthood is how much the capitalist/consumerist "powers that be" can have sweeping control over how much junk new parents can be pressured into buying -- unnecessary junk that costs a lot.
BUT THEY LOOK SO HAPPY??

While one could certainly argue that buying a ton of baby stuff these days is patriotic and helping America recover from its recession/depression (although Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity would totally disagree -- they don't want anyone to spend anything so that there is a greater likelihood for Obama to fail) . . . sorry bout that. Anyway, where was I. Oh yeah, while we could buy a bunch of newborn bling, I'm interested in how to break the consumerist cycle.

Turns out we might we arriving as new parents at the PERFECT TIME, as a recent NY Times article suggests (brought to my attention by our friend and hiking guru Becca). One silver lining on the cloud of the recession could be the rapid decrease in expectations that all new parents have the latest gadgets and high-end products. I mean, if you can now buy your car on eBay (GM that is), you should also be able to buy your stroller on eBay, as well, right? And maybe not the most recent stroller model with GPS satellite and special womb sounds emitted from the seat (I just made that up, but I challenge someone to find something like this that actually exists... I wouldn't be surprised if it does. It would probably be found here.)

On that note, check out No Wonder Our Kids Are So Messed Up: 20 Strange Baby Products.

I have placed an order at LeftBank Books for Pamela Paul's recent book "Parenting Inc.," which I also heard about from a story on NPR. Once I get started on reading this, I'll let y'all know if I learn any secrets to preventing baby gear, gadgets, and toys from filling every nook and cranny of our house.

3 comments:

  1. You know, I'm pretty good friends with the nice lady who owns City Sprouts, and they're currently moving to a bigger location. I even work there every once in a while. Let me know if you need any info on "stroller systems". That's right; they're called "systems" now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks.
    "systems" -- nice. We will definitely need a new strolling system to support the regularized urban transportation of our post-natal supplementary human personage ... wow, I kind of sound like an art historian : o

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could send you some nice used cardboard boxes to store the Stranger in. Just add a little packing material and you're all set! Some of the boxes even have holes for handles so you can carry him around. I think that if you were able to get a bungee cord somewhere, you could probably strap him to a bike, too. That would be a big improvement over the homemade-sack system my dad used to use to bike with me.

    ReplyDelete